I live and work in rural Tasmania but PA keeps me in touch with what’s happening in paramedicine across Australasia. As a Board Director I am now able to share the perspective of rural and remote paramedics.
A Warm Welcome to Paramedics Australasia
As the President of Paramedics Australasia, I am very proud to lead the peak representative body for paramedics across Australasia. Our key roles are to assist the growth and development of paramedics as well as offer a unified voice for paramedics in Australasia. The role of paramedics has changed dramatically over the years and will continue to do so in the coming years.
Paramedics Australasia is a key partner in thousands of paramedic careers and could be in yours as well. As our membership grows, so does our influence over the government, in particular with regards to the creation of national registration for paramedics. I hope you will take the time to consider the real benefits of becoming a member of Paramedics Australasia.
As a member for 25 years, I have seen PA develop and mature through its various iterations (IAO(A), ACAP and now PA). Over this time, it has afforded me the opportunity to establish valuable and enduring professional relationships. As paramedics move towards registration, a robust and committed professional organisation like PA representing the interests of the profession will become an additional critical role.
Howard WrenGeneral Manager - Education, ACT Ambulance Service
Membership of PA is a huge contributor to my continuing professional development, and particularly important now that student life is behind me.
Levi KarschimkusParamedic, Ambulance Victoria
Key Benefits of Paramedics Australasia Membership
- Be part of an organisation that has supported Paramedics for over 40 years
- The use of post-nominals relevant to your membership level (e.g. MPA for full members)
- Heavily discounted member rates to our premier annual Paramedics Australasia International Conference
- Member access (usually free) to our many regular continuing professional development (CPD) events, conferences and workshops
- Exclusive access to members-only scholarships
- Members-only access to PA eLearning
- Access to a members-only content via the Members Portal on the PA website
- Exclusive access to members-only grants for research funding
- Response, a quarterly paramedicine industry magazine delivered to your door or inbox
- Rapid Response, a monthly electronic newsletter delivered to your inbox
- Participation in our special interest groups (SIGs) including the Network of Australasian Paramedic Academics
- Professional networking opportunities
- Opportunity to elevate membership status to Fellowship of Paramedics Australasia (FPA)
- Optional participation in our Certified CPD Program
- Eligibility for election to various local and national PA committees
- An impressive addition to your CV which demonstrates your professionalism to prospective employers
- Members-only partner benefits at various organisations including Elsevier
- A membership card and certificate
- Membership fees are usually tax deductible.
Your membership will also support Paramedics Australasia to:
- Provide a unified voice of the paramedic profession to the wider community, government and other organisations
- Continue our decades-long campaign for Registration of Paramedics
- Support our student members with heavily subsidised membership
- Continue to publish our open-access peer-reviewed journal, the Australasian Journal of Paramedicine (AJP)
- Support our website, Facebook and Twitter social media presence to keep our profession informed of news
- Represent paramedicine and paramedics on the Australian Resuscitation Council Committee
- Representation of paramedicine and paramedics on other government committees, regulatory bodies and other health care stakeholder activities
- Support research undertaken on behalf of the paramedic profession
- International collaboration through International Paramedic
Who Can Join PA
Membership to Paramedics Australasia is open to a broad range of professionals providing or contributing to the provision of paramedic and emergency medical services. This includes (but is not limited to) paramedics and paramedicine students, emergency medical technicians, patient transport officers, doctors, nurses, defence force medics, industrial first responders, volunteer ambulance officers, first aid providers and ambulance communications centre staff.
To be considered for membership please submit an online application form. During processing of your application a determination will be made regarding your membership level. Once your membership is approved you will be sent a membership package, including your Certificate of Membership and details for accessing member benefits.
There are a number of levels of membership in Paramedics Australasia; more information can be found in the Paramedics Australasia Certified Rules.
MEMBER (MPA) (AU $312/NZ $156) – open to those who apply for and successfully fulfil the requisite criteria, as set out by the Board of Paramedics Australasia.
ASSOCIATE MEMBER (AMPA) (AU $312/NZ $156) – open to those who apply for membership, but are not currently eligible for recognition in other membership levels.
STUDENT MEMBER (SMPA) ($20) – open to those who apply for membership and are currently enrolled in an approved undergraduate pre-registration or pre-employment paramedical program.
RETIRED MEMBER (RMPA) – open to those members who have retired from the profession, but wish to remain a member of their professional body.
FELLOW (FPA) (AU $312/NZ $156) – a senior level category of membership which may be conferred by the Board upon any active member in recognition of their services to Paramedics Australasia and/or the profession. Fellow status can be applied for by members. Details of the application process can be found HERE.
HONORARY FELLOW (HFPA) ($0) – is a ‘bestowed’ membership category determined by special resolution of the Board in recognition of an ongoing, high level of commitment to, and support of, the objects of Paramedics Australasia.
LIFE MEMBER (LMPA) ($0)– is a ‘bestowed’ membership category determined by special resolution of the Board in recognition of an ongoing, high level of commitment to, and support of, the objects of Paramedics Australasia.
GRADUATE TRANSITION MEMBER (GTMPA) ($96) – designed to assist graduates of a Paramedics Australasia approved paramedical degree. This membership subscription is available for a period of two years from date of graduation. A scanned copy of your degree or the completed transcript is required with your application for criteria confirmation.
Membership fees are tax deductible.
New Zealand Members
You can use the below PayPal process to pay for your membership.
Payment can be made in full by credit card at the time of applying for membership. Alternatively if you wish to pay via cheque or direct debit once you have completed your application an invoice will be sent to you with payment details. For payroll payments please contact PA’s Membership Registrar to discuss payment options in more detail. Email email@example.com, phone 1300 024 711 or use the Contact Form.