Mental Health & Wellbeing
Welcome to the PA Mental Health & Wellbeing SIG Webpage
The overall purpose of the PA Mental Health & Wellbeing Special Interest Group is to address mental health and wellbeing matters of concern to paramedics across Australasia. The specific purposes of this SIG are to provide ongoing advice to the PA Board on the conduct of the annual Mental Health and Wellbeing Symposium, and on mental health initiatives for paramedics.
- To advise the Board on the program for the annual Mental Health and Wellbeing Symposium.
- To formulate clear objectives for the Mental Health and Wellbeing Symposium.
- To devise a method for evaluating the extent to which the objectives of the Mental Health and Wellbeing Symposium were achieved.
Initiatives to promote and support paramedic mental health and wellbeing
- To provide advice to the Board on paramedic focussed mental health and wellbeing initiatives within an ongoing three-year timeframe.
- To identify, articulate and prioritise the mental health concerns of paramedics in Australia and New Zealand.
- To promote paramedic mental health and wellbeing initiatives that are evidence based and defensible.
- To identify the intended outcomes of paramedic mental health initiatives and to measure the extent to which intended outcomes are achieved.
- To develop and promote education and awareness programs on paramedic mental health and wellbeing.
- To encourage open conversations in the paramedic community about mental health and wellbeing issues.
- To reduce the stigma that might be associated with paramedic mental health issues.
- To support and provide advice on the development of a website to support and advance paramedic mental health and wellbeing.
- To ensure that PA paramedic-focussed mental health and wellbeing initiatives are consistent with various government strategies and guidelines, or appropriate expert guidelines, applicable to the relevant jurisdictions. Relevant strategies and guidelines include (but are not limited to) the National Mental Health Strategy, the National Suicide Prevention Strategy, and guidelines on the prevention and management of specific mental health and wellbeing conditions.
- To identify aspects of paramedic mental health requiring further research.
- To encourage the development of networks and procedures to enhance the accessibility of mental health and wellbeing resources for paramedics.
- To encourage policy debate in relation to paramedic mental health and wellbeing.
Lisa Holmes – Via the form below.