Who we are
Paramedics Australasia (PA) is the peak professional association representing practitioners who provide paramedic services to the community. Paramedics are best known for their involvement in the delivery of out-of-hospital emergency medical care through their work with various ambulance service organisations and on humanitarian and relief operations. However, paramedics work in many environments including community, industrial, military, hospital and university settings.
Paramedics Australasia provides a respected voice in determining how changes in health service provision, legislation and clinical practice are shaped and implemented to enhance the quality of patient care. We do this by representing the interests of practitioners on matters relating to:
- Health policies that affect the access to and delivery of front-line primary and emergency care
- The professional standards of education, training, and continuing professional development
- The funding, service standards, quality and accreditation of emergency service providers
- The registration of practitioners and the regulatory framework of paramedic practice
- The fostering of best practice through research into out-of-hospital and emergency medical care
- Enhanced communication and interaction between paramedics and other health and allied health professionals.
Paramedics Australasia supports its members by:
- Providing opportunities for professional development and programs of continuing education
- The provision of on-line educational and other benefits
- Publication of our quarterly general interest member magazine and monthly e-newsletter
- Publication of our peer-reviewed electronic journal, the Australasian Journal of Paramedicine
- The provision of information through our website and other media channels including Facebook and Twitter
- The conduct of scientific conferences, symposia and other professional workshops
- Sponsorship and fostering of evidence-based research and special interest groups in paramedicine
- Participation in relevant health care policy committees, regulatory bodies, clinical groups and other health care stakeholder activities
- Professional networking and international links.